Best-practice for ensuring optimal herd-welfare when it comes to cow cleanliness
- When given the choice, cows favour clean dry areas, instead of wet or dirty cubicles. So it’s a no brainer than clean cubicles will result in clean cows! Make sure to regularly scrape and reapply bedding material or cubicle conditioner to your beds.
- Cleanliness scoring your herd will help you assess the comfort and overall health of your herd. Clean cows are indicators of comfy cows, with clean healthy udders.
- High levels of dirtiness, especially around the udder, leads to an increased risk of mastitis. Dirt can harbour bacteria, making it easier to enter the teat ends.
- Use opportune moments to assess cleanliness. Observe legs and udders whilst cows are in the parlour as this provides a good opportunity to easily monitor. Alternatively, you could watch out when doing routine procedures- eg AI, vet checks, vaccines etc.
- In an ideal world, you’ll score the total herd- but since this isn’t always possible, make sure you obtain a good sample size to give the best picture of the overall herd health.
Got questions about your bedding or keeping your cattle clean and dry? Why not speak with our team on livechat, or get in touch via our ‘Contact us’ page. Read about our full range of bedding products here…