“One of the reasons I came to Platts was because the website made the business look interesting and appealing to me. Some things I had been told about Platts made it sound like a good place to do my work experience and to get a better understanding of how a business runs and how it feels to be in a working environment.
Some of the tasks I have done this week have involved with this week have been:
- Shadowing in the factory and seeing how all the machinery works, what its used for, learning some of the risks and dangers of the machines.
- Learning about the products and the different grades it can come in.
- Seeing where any time is being wasted in production and highlighting the factors that cause this. Seeing how much time could be saved and utilised.
- With the Marketing Team, I did some market research for a possible new product, identifying competitors and seeing if there’s a gap in the market.
- Finally, I found out how far the drivers had been, how much fuel they had used, their average mpg and if they had slept out in their truck. All these factors showed me how much cost a business can have and gave me an insight to how many sales are needed to breakeven and how many are needed to make a profit.
This week has given me a better understanding of what I want to do I the future. I now know I would rather work in the practical side of a business so maybe go down the route of a mechanic or a joiner rather than a more office-based job like an accountant or receptionist mostly because I find the more hands-on jobs more enjoyable and more productive.
Observing people doing their jobs allows you to see what you could be doing in the future if you decide to go down the same path that they have and if you don’t like your work experience you have plenty of time to change your mind and go down a different path.
In conclusion I have enjoyed my time at Platts because of the experiences it has provided me with, the insight it has given me about the business and the people who work here have made the experience even more enjoyable.”